Monday, June 3, 2013

How to Learn Self Discipline - part A (Jan., 2013)


BLOG05a-  SelfDiscipline  SAVOR

In my last blog, we discussed one of the key elements of Self-Discipline:  Self-Denial, and some of the benefits, thereof.  Today, we will consider another aesthetic of Self-Discipline:   "Appreciation."

As you may recall, I gave examples of how self-discipline is apparent in life, fitness, and martial arts.  I also shared a brief story about my awkward pre-teen social outing (and my short-lived private escape from thus.)  I am going to take you back to that event, because there was an element that I was on my way to discovering, in that instance.  

While at that small party, I sat there, alone with the snack bowl.  My napkinful of mixed chips & popcorn in hand, I took an internal journey to pass the time, and wound up at the front gate of self-appreciation… before I was "not-so-rudely" interrupted by the host. lol.   That journey was this:  In the moments where I held and ingested each individual piece, I could actually taste the flavors, feel the textures (in my fingertips AND in my mouth), and hear the breaking down of the pieces as I chewed, etc.  Therein was the savoring made true.  I challenge you to do the same thing.

As I do martial arts forms, and even as I teach others certain elements of martial arts concepts, I always try to take the same purposeful moments to feel between the steps, the motions and the mental images that always present themselves as a very important part of the process of growth.  Any artist in ANY art form or discipline can vouch for this truth, but you are your best witness, thereto.  

For instance, I invite you to think about something you enjoy doing.  Perhaps it's reading a good book, or maybe it's dancing or playing a game.  Every time you set your mind to partaking of your chosen venue of escape, enjoyment or what-have-you, you find yourself in an altered state of sorts.  You "lose" yourself to the activity.  While you are in this state, you probably tend to recognize certain times when you are in full-throttle, and you get really jazzed about it.  Between those moments, likewise, you find yourself making certain corrections and adjustments, according to how you are feeling (physically or mentally).  Here's the question:   HOW DID YOU KNOW TO ADJUST OR CORRECT?

Therein lies the magic of it:  You are savoring and appreciating the little parts that make up the sum total of the experience in motion.  You are seeing yourself at your better, which tells your physiology to take note and get better.  When something is not optimal, you are sensing the lack and adjusting, accordingly.  The only problem is that we don't always give due credit to ourselves for recognizing that this subtlety is actually occurring.  That is the simple reason why we are not able to take control of how often the "magic" can happen.  Don't feel bad; Even if you never made a concerted effort to do this, it would still happen with time.  But imagine if you DID!  How much faster could you propel yourself to your goal.

This active participation in the process is the first step through that gate of your impending success in an aspiration.  When you begin to truly appreciate and savor the moments within your activities, they begin to flow into one another, rather than appear as rare & occasional goosebumps.  When you deny yourself the shortcuts, you find the pathways that expand your appreciation for the journey.  Savoring the walk brings fulfillment.  If you try to run through a door, you may find far more resistance than you expect.  If you pay attention to the steps, the micro-movements, then you can get  to your destination without so much wasted energy.

The next blog will cover this active process in a little more depth.  In your learning to become more self-disciplined, you won't be able to help making improvements, along the way.  Self-denial and Appreciation are measurably powerful allies to your quest.  "Action" is the element that allows you to lock in the direction of your journey.  

Be well, and feel free to share your comments about this blog.  Also, tell a friend about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment